Hubs and I were suddenly craving for Beef Caldereta, so this was what we had for supper last night.
- 1 lb. beef, cut into cubes
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. chili flakes (optional)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup liver spread
- 3 pieces bay leaf
- 1 cup potatoes, quartered
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 2/3 cup green olives
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pan, heat oil. Fry the potatoes and carrots until color turns light brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add beef to the pan; sear for a few minutes until lightly brown. Remove and set aside.
- Using the same pan, sauté the garlic and onions until translucent. Add chili flakes. Return beef and accumulated juices to pan. Stir-fry for a few minutes. Add water, tomato sauce, liver spread and bay leaf; stir to combine. Bring to a boil then simmer, about an hour or until meat is tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots, grated cheese and green olives; simmer for another 6 to 8 minutes. Season salt and pepper to taste. Add bell peppers, cook for 2 minutes more.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot steamed or garlic fried rice.
12,793 total views, 4 views today