Bistek Tagalog (Filipino Beef Steak)
- 1 kg Sirloin, beef tapa cut
- 8 pcs calamansi juice or juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- freshly ground pepper
- 4 tbsp liquid seasoning
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 pcs calamansi juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup onions (white or red, sliced into rings)
- 2 medium potatoes, sliced thinly and fried
- Mix together the calamansi juice, sugar, and soy sauce in a bowl, making sure that sugar is well dissolved. Place the beef in another bowl and pour calamansi mixture over beef. Set aside. Marinate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- In a large pan, fry potatoes until light brown. Set aside.
- Add more oil to the same pan. Over low to medium heat, fry the meat. Turn over after about 5-7 minutes to cook both sides. Set aside on a serving plate.
- Remove marinade residue from the pan to avoid burning. Do not throw away the oil. On the same pan, fry the onions for about 15 seconds. Place the onions and the fried potatoes on top of the steak.
- Again, using the same pan, pour in the leftover marinade. Add water. Simmer for about two minutes over low heat. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add more water if sauce becomes too salty. Pour the liquid mixture onto the beef.
- Serve with steamed or garlic fried rice.
14,333 total views, 0 views today