This dish looks so simple I thought it was very easy to cook. Well, it ‘s actually easy but it takes a long time to cook. But I tell you that it’s all worth it. So, if you have the time to spare to make a yummy dish for your family, you should try this. I snagged the recipe from Asian Enticement.
- 2-3 lbs pork belly
- 1 Medium chunk of Rock Candy (half the size of a golf ball) or 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 6 cloves of garlic (smashed)
- 3 slices of ginger
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 tsp of whole peppercorns
- 2 whole red chillies (totally optional, I like it a little spicy)
- 3 tbs shao xing cooking wine
- 1/2 cup of soy sauce (or 1/4-1/2 cup of dark soy sauce depending on salt level)
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbs salt as necessary
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 4 cups of water (just enough to almost cover the pork belly)
- First dry the pork belly and give it a good sear in the Dutch oven (or stainless steel pot), at least 15 min. Then add the ginger and garlic and brown a little in the oil. Then dump in all the other ingredients and set it on low and braise for 2-3 hours. Your cooking time will vary depending on your stove and what your “low setting” is, so check after 1.5-2 hours and you can test how tender the pork is. The longer you cook the more tender it will be.
- If you prefer using the oven then pre-heat to 325°F and bake for 2-3 hours. You can also cook the pork belly in a slower cooker (crock pot) but it’ll probably take longer.
8,217 total views, 5 views today