This is actually chicken stewed in coconut milk and since malunggay (moringa) has become quite popular because of its many health benefits, I thought of adding it. My neighbor has this plant and he gave me a few handfuls of leaves.
Chicken with Coconut Milk and Malunggay
- 1 whole chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 to 2 cups Malunggay leaves,
- 2 Tbs. chopped garlic
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 Tbs. ginger, julliened
- 1 small green papaya, wedged (optional)
- 2-3 pieces long green chili
- 1-2 pieces red chili or siling labuyo (optional)
- 2 Tbs. oil for cooking
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat pan then pour cooking oil.
- Saute the garlic, onion, and ginger.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook until the color of the outer part turns light brown.
- Pour coconut milk while stirring and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 30 minutes of until the chicken is tender and coconut milk becomes thick.
- Add the long green chili and red chili, simmer for another 5 minutes
- Add the green papaya then simmer until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add malunggay leaves then season with salt and pepper. Adjust taste.
- Turn-off the heat and cover for a minute or two then transfer the cooked chicken to a serving plate.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
58,865 total views, 35 views today