- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds lean stewing beef, cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pieces bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 3 1/4 cups water, divided
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 10 to 12 small white onions
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add beef, brown well on all sides.
- Add salt, pepper, bay leaf and thyme along with the broth and 3 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, potatoes and onions. Simmer for another 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup water; stir until smooth.
- Stir cornstarch into the stew. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for another minute.
- Serve with steamed rice or bread.
3,025 total views, 2 views today