Just like the Japanese curry, cream stew is another best seller in my house. There seems to be a shortage of ready-made roux in groceries lately so I looked for a recipe online without using the boxed cream stew cake.
Sorry for the image. The camera is broken, I had to use my handy phone and I forgot to put it on night mode. 🙁
1) Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat a little bit of oil in a deep pan and saute the beef on medium high heat until browned. Add onion and saute on medium heat until softened.
2) Pour 2 1/2 cup of water in the pan and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and add consomme cubes. Simmer until beef cubes are soft then add carrots and potatoes. Simmer until carrot and potatoes are softened.
3) Meanwhile, make white sauce in a sauce pan. Melt butter on low heat and stir in flour. Cook the flour until bubbles appear, mixing well. Pour milk and cook on medium heat, stirring quickly with a whisk until it begins to thicken.
4) Turn down the heat to low and simmer until thickened, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat and set aside. Take some of the soup from the stew and mix with cream cheese in a small cup. Stir the cream cheese mixture in the stew.
5) Add the white sauce in the stew and stir lightly. Add bell pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
6) Serve with steamed rice or bread. Enjoy! 🙂
7,577 total views, 0 views todayYum