I am not a fan of ox tongue (lengua), but I do eat it once in a while. This is how I like it and I got the recipe from Filipinorecipereviews.com.
Ox Tongue in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 5 lbs beef tongue, cleaned and thinly sliced (preferable tongue is less than 3 lbs so it’s easier to soften)
- 3 – 9 oz cans whole button mushroom
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 – 30 oz campbell’s cream of mushroom (or 6 small cans)
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 pcs bay leaf
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup butter
- 10 cups water
- fish sauce to season
- Rinse tongue to remove slime and scum.
- Pressure cook for 25 minutes.
- If using traditional method, in a pot, boil tongue in water until outer skin cracks and peels off. (This step should also soften the meat, add more time if tongue is still tough)
- After pressure cooking or boiling, rinse tongue in cool water.
- Peel off outer skin and rinse.
- Slice tongue crosswise, approx ¼ inch thin.
- Combine sliced tongue, whole button mushroom, water, onion, bay leaf soy sauce and butter. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add evaporated milk and stir. Add cream of mushroom while stirring until it is dissolved well. Bring to a boil for another 5 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and veggies or steamed rice.
(Optional: if sauce is too thin, add cornstarch dissolved in water to thicken sauce.)
99,923 total views, 0 views today