1) Stir-fry the salt and black pepper in a heavy frying pan over medium-low heat, shaking the pan, until the salt darkens. Remove from the heat and stir-in the five-spice powder. Cool.
2) Cut the spareribs along the individual bones. Rub lightly with salt and pepper mixture. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
3) Preheat the oil for deep-frying to between 360 and 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Dust the spareribs with the cornstarch. Use a deep-fryer basket to carefully add the ribs into the oil. Deep-fry the submerged spareribs for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and drain.
4) Sautè garlic until golden brown then set aside. Quickly sautè scallion and chile then set aside.
5) Deep-fry the spareribs a second time, until they are crispy and cooked (about 1 minute). Drain. Top with garlic, scallion and chile.
6) Serve with any remaining salt and pepper mix for dipping.Yum