Ging Xi Fa Cai to all my friends who are celebrating the Chinese New Year. This is what we had last night when we welcomed the year of the Black Water Snake, steamed fish. Feng shui experts say, fish symbolizes prosperity and mom always cooks this dish on the eve of the Chinese New Year. It’s easy to prepare and very delicious even kids love it.
- 1 1/2 pounds halibut
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 pieces dried shiitake mushrooms, softened and sliced
- 2 slices fresh ginger root, julienned
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce or Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 1/8 cup water
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Arrange 1/2 of the green onions on the bottom of the steaming bowl (it is important to steam in a container in order to retain the steam and juices around the fish). Place 1/2 of the mushrooms on top of the onions. Place fish on top of the mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle ginger, garlic, chopped white onion and red pepper flakes over fish. Top with the remaining green onions, and mushrooms. Drizzle soy sauce and water over everything.
- Place steam bowl in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water, and cover. Steam for 15 to 20 minutes, or until fish flakes easily. Garnish with cilantro.
14,179 total views, 2 views today