For Maundy Thursday, we had Yakisoba or Japanese fried noodles for lunch. I love this noodle dish because it has a lot of vegetables in it and it has a hint of sweetness because of the Bulldog Sauce (Tonkatsu Sauce).
Shrimp and Squid Yakisoba
- 1 cup shrimps, shelled
- 1 cup squid, cleaned and sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup bean spouts
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced into thin strips
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 300 grams cooked egg noodles
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbs tonkatsu sauce (I use the Bulldog brand)
- 1 tablespoon Mirin
- white pepper
- Nori flakes, cut into strips for garnish, optional
- Pickled red ginger, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons oil
- Wasabi (yellow variety)
- Heat oil in a wok and saute shrimps and squid slices until just barely cooked. Transfer to a plate, then set aside.
- In the same pan, saute all the vegetables including onions, until they are mostly tender. Add noodles, scallions and garlic and cook for a few minutes. You may add a few tablespoons of water if the noodles are sticking together. Stir fry the noodles until they are completely separated and there is no water remaining.
- Add the shrimp and squid back into the pan. Season with tonkatsu sauce, Mirin and white pepper. Stir fry until the noodles and vegetables are coated with sauce. Turn off heat.
- Transfer into a serving platter and garnish with nori flakes, wasabi and pickled red ginger.
5,045 total views, 2 views today