I’m enjoying this tangy tomato soup while listening to my favorite music played by a double guitar. This is my favorite thing to do with a bed-weather day like this. The weather lately is so unpredictable. The sun will shine in the morning and come noon time, it’s as if there is a big storm coming. A warm and hearty soup is always perfect at times like this. For today, we are having a creamy tomato soup. Recipe borrowed from Martha Stewart.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 2 (14-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Basic Chicken Stock, or water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Melt butter in a medium stockpot over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic (if using), stirring constantly, until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, their juices, and stock. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer tomato mixture to a blender, food processor, or food mill. Puree tomato mixture (if using a blender, cover the lid with a kitchen towel while machine is running).
- Return soup to a clean pot and set over low heat. Whisk in cream, if desired; season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or transfer soup to a bowl set over an ice-water bath to cool completely. Transfer cooled soup to an airtight container and refrigerate. Reheat over medium heat until heated through.
2,860 total views, 2 views today