Unlike the regular pancakes that most of us are used to, a Japanese pancake contains a lot of vegetables. It’s delicious and healthy snack that’s heavy in the tummy. Shredded cabbage is the main ingredient, but you an add other vegetables if you wish.
Okonomiyaki ( Japanese Pancake)
- 8 cups cabbage, finely julienned
- 1 cup carrots, julienned
- 1/2 lb sliced pork belly or other ingredients, cut into 3 inch pieces
- Okonomiyaki Batter!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 2-3 inch Nagaimo or our local gabi, grated
- 1 tsp. dashi dissolved in 3/4 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup pickled red ginger (optional)
- Okonomiyaki sauce or Tonkatsu sauce (I use the Bulldog brand)
- Japanese mayonnaise
- Katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
- Dried green seaweed powder or Nori flakes
- Green onions, finely chopped
- Pickled red ginger for garnish
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add grated Nagaimo and water and dashi mixture.
- Whisk well, making that sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Keep in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Take out the batter from the refrigerator.
- Add eggs and pickled ginger. Mix well.
- Stir in the cabbage and carrots.
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat oil on medium to medium high heat. Scoop one ladle of batter and place on the pan. Do not try to flatten the mixture as it will easily break when you flip it over.
- Place 2-3 sliced pork belly on top of Okonomiyaki and cook covered for 5 minutes.
- When the bottom side is nicely browned, turn it over and cook covered for another 5 minutes.
- Turn over one more time and cook uncovered for 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Apply Okonomi Sauce and Japanese mayonnaise, and sprinkle katsuobushi. You can also put dried green seaweed, green onions and pickled red ginger on top for garnish.
- Serve and enjoy!
7,751 total views, 0 views today